Some Questions as We Look Ahead
Instead of dwelling on what might have been and trying to ignore the Tigers’ roar, I’ve forced myself to be positive and look ahead to 2012 and how this White Sox team will take the field in Glendale, Arizona next February. The conventional wisdom is that big changes will be made, despite some big contractual obligations. I don’t have any answers, but here are some questions to consider:
* Will Kenny Williams be back as the general manager?
* Will Ozzie be back for his ninth season? How about his coaches?
* Will the Sox re-sign free agent Mark Buehrle?
* Will the Sox rely on Philip Humber and Zach Stewart for rotation spots and trade arbitration-eligible John Danks and/or Gavin Floyd? Will Chris Sale become a starter?
* Will Adam Dunn rebound?
* Will Alex Rios improve?
* What does the future hold for Gordon Beckham?
* Will arbitration-eligible Carlos Quentin be back or used as trade-bait?
* Will Dayan Viciedo make a big-league impact?
* Will Juan Pierre, who has had a terrific second half, return?
* If Pierre is gone, can Alejandro De Aza be an everyday player and replace him in leftfield?
* Will Tyler Flowers be next year’s backup in the hope he can take over in 2013?
* Is Brent Morel‘s late-season power season a positive sign of things to come?
* How will the solid bullpen shape up? Will Matt Thornton be back? Jason Frasor? Then, there’s the Sale question.
It looks like it’ll be a busy winter.