Sox Notes of Note…
Some random thoughts as the White Sox begin a 10-day homestand tonight with three games against the Tigers, three vs. the Mariners and four against the A’s…
* As a long-time critic of Brent Lillibridge (pictured above), I’ve changed my tune. He’s become a big piece of the Sox puzzle. He’s also become a lot better player in the past year.
* Dallas McPherson has cleared waivers and is headed back to Charlotte. Will we ever see him back in the majors?
* What Sox players will be named to the All-Star team? Because of the numbers we won’t have any starters as usual, but Alexei Ramirez, Paul Konerko (unfortunately there is a lot of competition at first base), Sergio Santos and Carlos Quentin seem to be the candidates.
*With Phil Humber‘s surprising success, Ozzie seems very happy with the six-man rotation.
* It goes without saying that if the Sox are going to be in the thick of the division race at the end we’re going to need Adam Dunn and Alex Rios to turn their seasons around. Tonight would be a good time to start.
* One of the themes of our season has been the fact we’ve consistently faced the toughest pitchers in the league. The tradition continues on this homestand as the Pale Hose will see Justin Verlander, Felix Hernandez and the very tough Oakland A’s starting staff.
* Don’t look now, but Gordon Beckham just might be on the road back. After a solid May, his average is .242 and climbing.
* Josh Phegley, who may very well be the Sox starting catcher after A.J. Pierzynski’s contract expires after 2012, had quite a game last night for AA Birmingham. The Indiana University product went four for four with seven RBIs against the Chattanooga Lookouts.
* Now 27-31, the Sox can end the homestand at .500 with a 7-3 mark. Can they close in on the Tribe’s eight-game lead? During the same period of time (thru Sunday, June 12), the Indians play the Rangers (3) and Twins (3) at home and the Yankees (3) on the road.
* If the South Siders do get back in the race, should we credit Ozzie’s Toronto tirade as the reason why?