My weekly off-season musings about the White Sox and more…
* America, fasten your seat belts. Our Ozzie Guillen will be part of the Fox pre- and post-game announcing crew for the World Series.
* How impressed are Sox prospects Jordan Danks and C.J. Retherford with No. 1 draft pick Stephen Strasburg? Not so much, it seems. In yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action, Danks and Retherford went 4 for 4 against the $15 million man of the Washington Nationals as their Peoria Javelina’s beat the Phoenix Desert Dogs, 9-6. John Danks‘ brother Jordan collected two singles and the gritty Retherford smashed a homer and a single. The duo’s performance was no fluke either. Danks is currently hitting .385 and Retherford .421 in Fall League action. Dayan Viciedo, who didn’t play yesterday, is at .333.
* The Sox picked up Alejandro De Aza this week off of waivers from the Marlins. His role? Probably a candidate for a spot as a backup outfielder. We’ll just have to trust the Sox front office on this one.
* While the Yanks are still in the driver’s seat to get to the World Series, ex-Sox mope Nick Swisher hasn’t helped a lick. If the former “Dirty 30” doesn’t snap out of it soon, his love affair with Yankee fans will be over in a hurry.
* One of the most loyal and passionate Sox fans I know, my dad Seymour Berke, is in intensive care at a Hammond, Indiana, hospital. We all want him to be ready for spring training so please say a prayer.