Sox-wise and Otherwise…
My weekly off-season musings on the White Sox and more…
* Is President Obama the first Sox fan to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize?
* It was announced today that Dewayne Wise, he of the spectacular catch that saved Mark Buehrle’s perfecto, has opted for free agency rather than accepting an outright assignment to Triple A. Wise is a favorite of mine and I wish him the best. No matter what happens in his career from this point on, he made “The Catch” that many call the greatest in history.
* Chip Caray is certainly not a “chip off the old block.” The grandson of legendary Harry Caray and the son of outstanding sports broadcaster Skip Caray, is an embarrassment to his family’s tradition, TBS and baseball in general. He’s a minor league announcer on the sport’s biggest stage. Read Richard Sandomir and Phil Mushnick in today’s New York Times and New York Post, respectively, for details.
* You have to feel for the Cardinals’ Matt Holliday after his error with two outs in the ninth set the stage for the Dodgers to rally and take a 2-0 lead in their ALDS series. That said, Cards closer Ryan Franklin should have been able to pitch over it. Reminds me of all the flack Bill Buckner got as THE culprit in Game 6 of the 1986 Mets-Red Sox series. In that case, pitcher Bob Stanley got a big-time pass.
* I’m not the biggest Jim Thome fan, but I was hoping he was going to jack one out yesterday as a pinch-hitter in the eighth inning. Instead, he was hit by a pitch.
* Joe Girardi’s decision to replace All-Star catcher Jorge Posada with Jose Molina to catch A.J. Burnett in Game 2 of the ALDS against the Twins is a big story here in New York. Truth is, Posada’s not a great defensive catcher and Molina is. Plus, Burnett and Molina have a much better rapport.
* I picked the Yankees to win the World Series, but the more I think about it I’m getting a vibe it’s going to be the Angels. They are on a mission to win it for their late teammate Nick Adenhart.
* I’d give anything for the Sox to be in the thick of things, but it’s nice to sit back, relax and enjoy a baseball game. I can’t do it when the Pale Hose are playing.