I Can’t Believe What I Just Saw: Sox Score 4 in 9th to Beat Nathan and Twins in Club’s Twinkiedome Finale
For all of us in SoxWorld, it was a remarkable turn of events in the Twin Cities this afternoon.
Trailing 2-0 in the ninth inning with two outs and nobody on against Sox killer Joe Nathan, even the most loyal among us had to fear the inevitable. You know, our sixth loss in a row, going 1-9 on “The Road Trip” and enduring another sweep at the hands of the Piranhas. After what we’ve been through the last two weeks, what else would we think? Even today, we hit into four double plays, struck out seven times going into the ninth and wasted a solid Mark Buehrle performance.
But wait, in the last game the Sox will ever play in this House of Horrors, a near-miracle occurred:
* Gordon Beckham homered to left on a full count to narrow the margin to 2-1.
* Paul Konerko, also on a full count, homered to left to tie the score at 2.
* Jermaine Dye walked on a 3-1 count.
* DeWayne Wise ran for Dye and proceeded to steal second.
* Carlos Quentin walked on a full count, men on first and second with two outs.
* Matt Guerrier, another thorn in our side lately, replaced Nathan. Alexei Ramirez greeted him with a single, scoring Wise and giving the Sox a 3-2 lead. Quentin to third.
* Quentin scored on a Guerrier wild pitch, Sox up 4-2 heading to the bottom of the ninth.
* Bobby Jenks shut the door for the victory.
Today doesn’t make up for the past two weeks, but coming from behind in the ninth, beating Nathan and winning the last game at the Dome was a satisfying way to head back to Chicago.