I Slept Very Well Last Night
A Jose Contreras gem, a three-hit, three-RBI performance by Jermaine Dye and a 5-1 victory gives a guy a chance to get some sleep. And how about that great effort by Alexei on the key double play in the 7th?
Oh yeah, and Jermaine’s not an All-Star? What a joke.
Notes from Pale Hose Nation:
* With the whereabouts of Bartolo Colon an uncertainty, who better than Ozzie to put it into perspective (courtesy of White Sox Bits by Mark Gonzales in today’s Chicago Tribune).
“I worry about Colon because Colon was a big-time Michael Jackson fan,” Guillen said. “He might (watch) the TV and cry all day long. Maybe he is in L.A. at the funeral, because I can’t find him. When he gets to Charlotte, Oney (Guillen’s son) will call me to say he’s there. Nobody knows how big of a Jackson fan Colon was. I’m serious. He might be depressed for a little bit.”
* I’m sure many of you can identify with me that it’s difficult to listen to many of the out-of-town announcers on DirecTV or digital cable. Sure, they’re biased, but that’s to be expected. I’ve heard a great deal from non-Sox fans about Hawk’s homerism. But there is no excuse for being uninformed and snarky, which many of them are. The one exception to the rule is Rick Manning, the former Tribe outfielder and current TV color commentator for the Indians. He gives credit where credit is due to the opponents and simply knows what he’s talking about. I never turn the sound down on a Cleveland telecast.
* I’m happy to report that stud backstop Tyler Flowers went 2 for 3 with a double in Birmingham’s 3-1 win over Mississippi last night. He’s hitting .296.
* Rick Bozich, Hall of Fame sports columnist with the Louisville Courier-Journal and huge Sox fan, poses this question: Which Sox player has been most important to turning the season around? We both agree it’s Pods. What do you think?
* Another Sox fanatic offers this: Gordon Beckham has 18 RBI in his first 30 major league games. That’s a 97 RBI pace prorated over 162 games–in spite of his slow start. I think all of us agree he’s special.
Let’s go to the Twinkiedome with a sweep under our belts.